Friday, December 30, 2005

The quintessential parenting experience

So we're at my in-laws' house in OH and my daughter (age 5) alerts me this morning at 6 AM that her 'tummy hurts'. I, being the sensitive father that I am, tell her to take a drink of water and go back to sleep.

I proceed to go downstairs and continue working on a blog post. About 20 minutes later, I hear a muffled yell coming form her bedroom. I run up-stairs an find her laying in bed with both of her hands clamped over her mouth and now she's whimpering. She's being a total trooper and trying to keep her yak off the bed.

I quickly scan the unfamiliar room looking for a trash can or bucket she can unload into. No luck.

I make the decision to pick her up and carry her to the bathroom. Here's where I made a critical error... I carried her facing me. Needless to say, after about 7 steps, I looked like a first row audience member of that watermelon-smashing idiot - Gallagher.

Lesson learned: never carry a loaded weapon or sick 5-year-old with the business-end facing you.

5 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Chalicechick said...

I'd say you did exactly the right thing.

My babysitting experience taught me to always take the hit myself. In the end, dumping your clothes into the washer and taking a shower sucks less than cleaning almost anything else, especially a carpet or bed.

CC

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Early Riser deserves a Purple Heart. By the way, water is not recommened for a tummy ache.

Anonymous

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for pillow case next time.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"tummy hurts" = early yak warning = find the waste basket(located within 1 meter of bed in subject room)now! = better outcome. better luck next time, but you "done good".

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous PENNY STOCK INVESTMENTS said...

Very touching post excellent

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.