Wednesday, March 29, 2006

UU's of the World Unite (well... at least against the stupid new logo)

Let's take a little test...

Look at the logo below and tell me what religious symbol this reminds you of...



Hmmm... let's see... could it be a freakin' cross!?!?!

Bill Sinkford, our denomination's fearless leader, continues his attempts to lurch UUism toward Christianity with this new logo. He has injected overtly Christian imagery (I'm still trying to understand this whole Good News crap is about) and made several comments to the press that lead me to believe he would be better suited to run the Presbyterians.

The lack of cross-like imagery is one of the reasons I (an atheist raised in a Jewish household) chose UUism several years ago. I'm thinking about getting my congregation to officially rebuke this this change to send a message to Boston... I doubt they care, but it would make me feel better.

Anyone else interested in supporting an effort to rollback the logo change?

UPDATE: The ChaliceChick has a great post about this development (it looks like I'm a bit late to the discussion)

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please take a look at all of the present and past UU-related logos and tell me they don't ALL look cross-like:

http://www.uua.org/CONG/chalices/

While you are apparently just waking up to this fact based on the newest UUA effort, you can't deny that the current version is one of the most striking and in my opinion, quite lovely. (But what do I know, I'm a sucker for symmetry.)

Now if we could only do something about those wretched, overlapping Jefferson bells....

- the semi-anonymous C

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Jim said...

What would you suggest as a logo for UUism, then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.