My broker (E*Trade) had a recent promotion that if you deposit $25k into an existing account, you'll receive a free 12 month subscription to Morningstar Premium. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Morningstar, they are best known for their ratings (mostly useless) for mutual funds on a scale of 1 to 5 stars.
One of the best Morningstar features is their Portfolio X-Ray function. You simple download or key-enter all of your stock and mutual fund holdings and their system tells you all sorts of compelling information. Here are some key insights from my portfolio...
- Stock Sector: as compared to the S&P 500, I'm underweight on IT and overweight on Manufacturing
- Stock Type: underweight on Cyclical and Classic Growth while overweighted on High Yield and Hard Asset
- Style: my portfolio is tilted toward mid/small-cap value
- Fund/EFT Expense: I pay a weighted average annual expense 0.76% on my EFT and Mutual Fund holdings
- Unknown Big Holdings: I own significant amounts of Mitsui Fudosan, Land Securities and Mitsubishi Estate. None of these are even listed in the US but Fidelity's International Real Estate Fund (FIREX) owns them all in large quantities.
- Largest Holdings: PVX (2.9%), MO(2.6%) and AEE (2.2%)